As a vegan, finding quick and easy meals for busy weeknights can be a challenge. Many recipes call for multiple steps and ingredients that can be time-consuming to prepare. However, with a little planning and effort, delicious vegan meals can be whipped up in no time. In this article, we’ll provide tips and recipes for quick and easy vegan meals that are perfect for busy weeknights.
Tip 1: Meal Prep
One of the best things you can do to make weeknight meals easier is to do some meal prep on the weekends. This doesn’t have to be a full-on meal prep session, but simply chopping vegetables, making sauces, or cooking grains can save time when you’re trying to put a meal together during a busy weeknight.
Tip 2: Use Your Instant Pot
If you have an Instant Pot, you know how much time it can save in the kitchen. The beauty of an Instant Pot is that it can cook meals quickly, while also infusing flavors into your food. There are a ton of vegan Instant Pot recipes out there, but some favorites include lentil soup, quinoa and black bean chili, and spaghetti squash.
Tip 3: Embrace Simplicity
You don’t need to cook a gourmet meal every night of the week. Embrace simplicity by making meals that are easy to prepare and don’t require a lot of ingredients. Some examples include stir-fry vegetables with rice or noodles, avocado toast with a side salad, or a large hummus and veggie platter.
Recipe 1: Lentil Soup
Lentil soup is a classic and comforting meal that can be made quickly and easily in your Instant Pot.
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 carrots, chopped
– 2 stalks celery, chopped
– 1 cup dry lentils
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 4 cups vegetable broth
– 2 cups water
1. Turn on your Instant Pot and press the “Sauté” button. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the dry lentils, bay leaf, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, vegetable broth, and water to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
3. Close the lid and move the steam release valve to the “Sealing” position. Press the “Manual” button and set the timer for 15 minutes.
4. Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then move the steam release valve to the “Venting” position to release any remaining pressure.
5. Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Serve hot.
Recipe 2: Chickpea Salad
This chickpea salad is perfect for a quick and satisfying lunch or dinner.
– 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 1/2 red onion, chopped
– 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
– 1/4 cup chopped parsley
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, red onion, red bell pepper, and parsley.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
3. Pour the dressing over the chickpea salad and toss to combine. Serve chilled.
Recipe 3: Sweet Potato Tacos
These sweet potato tacos are a colorful and flavorful meal that can be made in under 30 minutes.
– 2 sweet potatoes, diced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1/2 teaspoon cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– 8 corn tortillas
– 1 avocado, sliced
– 1/4 cup diced red onion
– 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
– 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the diced sweet potatoes, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Toss to combine.
3. Spread the seasoned sweet potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tender and caramelized.
4. Warm the corn tortillas in a skillet over medium heat. Fill each tortilla with some of the sweet potato mixture, avocado slices, red onion, and cilantro. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top of each taco and serve immediately.
In conclusion, vegan meals don’t have to be complicated, time-consuming, or expensive. With some planning and creativity, you can whip up delicious, quick, and easy vegan meals for busy weeknights. Don’t be afraid to try new recipes, and always remember to embrace the beauty of simplicity in the kitchen. Happy cooking!